EASY STAR ALL-STARS – pioneers of covering entire albums, something that has since caught on in many genres – return with their 4th reggae tribute, this time tackling the Greatest Selling Album of All Time, Michael Jackson’s THRILLER! The CD has two bonus dubs and vocals from Steel Pulse, The Green, Luciano, Michael Rose (Black Uhuru), Mojo Morgan (Morgan Heritage), Cas Haley, Spragga Benz and more.
Easy Star All-Stars tackled the King of Pop in 2012, recruiting Luciano, Michael Rose, Cas Haley, Steel Pulse, The Green and more to reinterpret Thriller in a reggae style. The record debuted at #1 on the Billboard Reggae chart.
“Covering a song in a different genre can be gimmicky, as is the case with this Brooklyn reggae outfit’s take on Michael Jackson’s classic (from “Easy Star’s Thrillah,” an all-covers album). Here however, it just happens to be a good gimmick, put over a spongy groove and dancehall giant Luciano’s simmering, committed vocal.” – New York Post
“Nailing a song is a challenge, but an entire album of covers?…Michael Goldwasser’s crew brings it home with Thrillah (Easy Star)…this homage is tasteful and eloquent, avoiding modern reggae’s trappings, such as vocoders and synth-based horns. Amassing 21 musicians and recorded in five countries, this truly global endeavor honors the King of Pop in an entirely unforeseen way.”
– The Huffington Post
“The All-Stars are able to keep their style fresh by only changing songs ever so slightly. Each cover song still has a strong connection to the original.” – The Aspen Times
* No samples from the Album “Thriller” were used anywhere on this recording.
01. Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’ (feat. JoWil and Ruff Scott)
02. Baby Be Mine (feat. The Green)
03. The Girl Is Mine (feat. Mojo Morgan and Steel Pulse)
04. Thriller (feat. Mikey General and Spragga Benz)
05. Beat It (feat. Michael Rose)
06. Billie Jean (feat. Luciano)
07. Human Nature (feat. Cas Haley)
08. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) (feat. Kirsty Rock)
09. The Lady In My Life (feat. Christopher Martin)
10. Dub It
11. Close To Midnight